The 2017 Hampton Roads Rubber Duck Race is being held for the benefit of Children’s Health Investment Program, doing business as CHIP of South Hampton Roads (or “CHIP”), a charitable organization as defined under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
1. Ducks will be launched into the Intracoastal Waterway at Great Bridge in Chesapeake, VA at approximately 2:15p.m. on Saturday, April 22, 2017. The race course will be approximately 1/8 mile in length or as established by CHIP’s Community Outreach Committee (“the Committee”). The Committee reserves the right, in its absolute and sole discretion, to postpone and/or reschedule the event. The Committee shall not be held liable for any loss, damage, or inconvenience which may result by any such postponement or rescheduling of the Hampton Roads Rubber Duck Race.
2. All ducks entered will be provided by and shall remain the property of CHIP (“the Agency”).
3. Once the ducks are launched, they are on their own. No attempt to free or interfere with any duck is permitted. The race course will close fifteen (15) minutes after the first duck has crossed the finish line. Any duck finishing after that fifteen (15) minute time period will not be eligible for prizes.
4. A number will be written on each duck corresponding directly to the number on an entry ticket. Multiple duck entries will be assigned a different duck identification number for each duck entry. Prize(s) will be awarded to the person whose name appears on the entry ticket in the order the corresponding duck crosses the finish line. Prizes will be posted on the day of the Hampton Roads Rubber Duck Race at the site of the event. Prizes are nontransferable.
5. The Committee reserves the right, in its absolute and sole discretion, to substitute prizes of comparable value.
6. The 1st place winner will receive $10,000. The winner must provide a photo ID to claim prize. A W-9 must be completed and signed with the Children’s Health Investment Program. All taxes are the responsibility of the winner. The 2nd place winner will receive a shopping spree at your favorite GrandBrands Ashley Furniture HomeStore, valued at $1,000. The 3rd place winner will receive a collection of dining and entertainment gift certificates valued at $500. The 4th place winner will receive a collection of dining and entertainment gift certificates valued at $250.
7. To be eligible for prizes, the entry portion of an entry ticket must be completed and actually received by the Committee no later than 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 22, 2017. No other tickets are eligible to win any prize. For a duck entry sale, only one confirmation is required.
8. The price to enter and to purchase an entry ticket(s) are as follows: one (1) for $5; Ten (10) for $45; Twenty-five (25) for $110; Fifty (50) for $215; One hundred (100) for $410; Over 100: $4 each; Over 1,000: $3.50 each.
9. Winners will be announced at the conclusion of the Hampton Roads Rubber Duck Race at approximately 2:45 p.m. Entrants do not need to be present to be eligible for prizes. Winners will, if necessary, be notified by information provided on entrant’s ticket. A list of Rubber Duck Race winners may be obtained from CHIP by sending a written request with a self-addressed stamped envelope to CHIP of South Hampton Roads, 1302 Jefferson Street, Chesapeake, VA, 23324, within ten (10) days following the race. If any race winner does not claim his or her prize from the agency within ninety (90) days of the Rubber Duck Race, the prizes will be forfeited and returned to the donating organization and/or used for a lawful purpose in the sole and absolute discretion of the Committee.
10. No cash equivalent prizes will be provided in lieu of the designated prizes. Any and all taxes and similar fees, including, but not limited to, applicable license and registration fees, on any prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
11. By completing and purchasing an entry ticket(s), entrants release CHIP and its members, agents, employees, volunteers, and other related entities, including, but not limited to the Community Outreach Committee members, from any and all liability with respect to prizes.
12. By completing and returning an entry ticket(s), purchasers consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses without compensation.
13. Chances of winning a prize(s) depend on the total number of qualified entries. The event is being conducted in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and is void where prohibited by law. Individual ticket purchases are not tax deductible according to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
14. CHIP will utilize its Community Outreach Committee, consisting of not less than five (5) persons, who will have the responsibility of the presentation and completion of the Hampton Roads Rubber Duck Race. The Committee will make all final decisions and interpretations of these rules and regulations in its sole and absolute discretion.
15. Employees and members of the agency’s Board of Directors, and their immediate families, are not eligible to win prizes. Winners have the burden to prove eligibility